Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Venezia


Venice. I've got to say that we were completely "wowed" by Venice. Our day started out with a long train ride where we met a wonderful older woman from Italy. We spent most of the train ride talking to her and the ride seemed a lot shorter because of that. Once in Venice we caught a bus, got off on the wrong stop and had to wait another 30 min for the next one, saw quite a few ladies of the night, and scared a little girl. Productive morning, but by the time we reached the Villa Dori in the suburbs of Venice Maestre we were ready to call it a night. Our concierge urged us against just hanging out there and we were so glad that we listened to his suggestion.
Venice at night is surreal. It is lovely and... surreal. Can't really describe the feeling that you get while you are there. It was so nice because we got there just as most of the tourists were leaving and St. Mark's square was desolate. We had the best pizza of our life for only 5 Euros and an unforgettable evening.
The next morning was taken up by going to Burano, Murano, and Lido on the ferries. Murano is where they blow glass and Burano is called the fisherman's village. Burano was our favorite island because it was full of bright houses along beautiful canals. It was where all of the artists were hanging out painting because it was so very picturesque. We saw all of the "important" sights on mainland Venice and then ate two whole pizzas at the same pizza place. After stopping for some gelato we were ready to puke and then go back to Villa Dori. Venice was lovely and now it is time to move onto CINQUE TERRE!!!

3 comments:

Shels said...

What a beautiful and colorful place! I have been craving pizza A LOT lately, and I'm pretty sure its cause I am jealous that you get to eat the "real stuff". Randon and I went to The Factory, and it was good but not Italy good. So please bring some home for me. Thanks.

melissa said...

you crack me up!! Ladies of the night and scaring a little girl, wanting to puke after eating two pizzas hmmm...sounds interesting! remember when we ate all those donuts after driving around looking at Christmas lights? i guarantee that pizza was way better than those donuts. I would do that any day. Burano sounds COOl. I'm so glad to know all these details. By the way, you two are starting to look European. No kidding.

Mandy said...

Hey Kate, this is Mandy Payant from the ward. Hopefully you don't mind but I've been blog-stalking your trip to Europe because I'm super jealous! Looks like so much fun!